Home is not the only place where you can have a heart healthy meal. More and more restaurants are offering delectable dishes that are low in cholesterol, saturated fats, and trans fats, and some of them are even willing to prepare meals to order. As such, you do not have to compromise your health when you are dining out. If you know how to make the right food choices at a restaurant, you will have a most delightful and heart healthy dining experience.
Here are a number of useful dining out tips for people who wish to have a healthy heart.
- When you are choosing a restaurant, you should not opt for one that offers all-you-can-eat buffet. If you end up having the buffet, you will most likely eat more food, and therefore, more calories, than you should.
- If you can access the restaurant’s menu earlier, you may want to plan your order before you leave. This will ensure that you will not be tempted to order dishes that are high in fat.
- When you are looking at the menu, you should remember that dishes that crispy, fried, pan-fried, au gratin, sautéed, creamed, buttered, stuffed, and scalloped contain high amounts of fat and calories. Foods that are steamed, broiled, grilled, roasted, baked, and poached are more beneficial to your heart health.
- Avoid entrees that feature fatty meats. Instead, opt for chicken, seafood, or lean meat. If you decide to order meat, you should remove all the visible fat on the meat. If you are ordering chicken, let the server know that you want the chicken skin removed.
- It is a good idea to order items on the menu that are marked “healthy”. You can also ask the server to show you the healthiest items on the menu.
- Do not hesitate to ask your server how a certain dish is prepared and what ingredients are used to prepare it.