While most sports injuries can be easily treated, others can have long-term debilitating effects. As such, it is important that you know how to prevent injuries when you are taking part in your favorite sports. Here’s a quiz to test your knowledge:
1) How frequently do you replace your athletic shoes?
a. Once a year, even if I do not use them much.
b. Once every 300 to 400 miles.
c. Not until there are holes in them.
2) What should you do if you sustain an injury?
a. Tough it out and keep going.
d. Quit immediately.
c. Stop and assess the injury, and then, apply ice and rest. If the pain is severe, I will see a doctor for assessment and treatment.
3) Which sport causes the most injuries?
c. Ice hockey.
4) Which is the most effective way to prevent sports injuries?
a. Increase intensity and duration of activity gradually.
b. Cross training whenever I feel soreness or twinge.
c. Improve flexibility and strength.
d. All of the above.
5) Which of the following is a good cross training activity?
b. Swimming or “water running”.
6) Is it important to have a training plan and a coach?
a. Yes. A training plan and coach can help me avoid overtraining and exposing myself to injuries.
b. No. I do not need a coach.
7) Most sports injuries require surgery.
If you have sustained a serious sports injury, it is recommended that you contact our sports medicine specialist, Dr. Matthew Schaeffer.