Preparing your own food enables you to have more control over the nutritional value and overall healthfulness of your meals, and it can also help you save money. Here are some food preparation methods that you can use to maintain a healthy diet:
- Get cooking ideas from healthy recipes and cookbooks.
- When you are buying beef, choose “select” and “choice” grades instead of “prime”. Make sure you remove the fat from the edges before cooking.
- Select “loin” or “round” cuts of red meat and pork, because they usually contain the least amounts of fat.
- As for poultry, choose lean and light meat, such as the breast, rather than dark meat, which is the thigh or leg, and remove the skin.
- When preparing egg dishes, remove the egg yolks and use the egg whites only.
- For dishes that require dairy products, use fat-free or low-fat versions of milk, cheese, or yoghurt.
- Choose salad dressings, dips, and marinades that are no-fat, low-fat, reduced-fat, or light.
- Minimize the use of salt when you are preparing food.
- Refrain from using seasoning mixes that are prepackaged, because most of them contain a lot of salt.
- Use fresh or dried herbs to add flavor to your cooking.
- Select oils that contain the least amounts of cholesterol, saturated fat, and trans fat, such as corn oil, canola oil, olive oil, sesame oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, and soybean oil.
If you want to cook healthy and delicious meals, you can take a look at some of the recipes that are available in our website.