CardioSmart.org says, "Many of us know that a healthy diet is important, but when push comes to shove, eating healthy is often easier said than done…” Do not let this discourage you, as they also note, "You don't need to make huge changes to eat healthier. And you don't have to change your habits all at the same time. It's best to set small goals and change your habits a little bit at a time." The website offers tips on healthy eating and health assessment tools that you can use to track your progress as you work towards your health goals. It is hard to get motivated to make these changes, so here are answers to some of the questions patients at North Ohio Heart tend to ask:
Why do I need to change my eating habits?
You can improve your overall health with a healthy diet. You can also lower the chances that you will have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, cancer and other health issues.
I work and/or have a family. How can I find time to change my eating habits?
- Plan your meals and snacks. The time that it takes to plan a menu for the next few days is nothing compared to the time you could spend feeling ill or being hospitalized.
- When you are cooking a healthy recipe, double it so you can freeze it for later. When you are pressed for time, you can thaw out that meal rather than going for fast food.
- There is nothing wrong with convenience foods, just make better choices. Get pre-washed salads, frozen vegetables, or baby carrots--foods with nutrients that you can prepare quickly.
- Stock up on healthy snacks like yogurt, fresh fruit and whole-grain crackers. You can still have a bag of potato chips now and then as long as most of your snacks are of a healthier variety.
- Put snacks in a small bowl or on a small plate. This will keep you from eating an entire bag or box because you weren't paying attention.
If you’re concerned about your health visit us at North Ohio Heart. Ten years ago NOH joined with Ohio Medical Group to offer primary medical services in our area. The NOH/OMG solution truly is a partnership for your health.