With all the celebrations, travel, stress and decadent food, staying healthy during the holidays can be a challenge. Whether you’re trying to avoid weight gain or simply stay on top of the good health habits you’ve worked hard to keep all year, we have some tips to keep you on track.
- Plan Ahead: When it comes to avoiding unwanted holiday weight gain, sometimes all you need is a little moderation. If you know you’ll be attending a holiday party or indulging in a big feast, plan ahead. Eat lighter for your other meals and double up on fruits and veggies.
- Move It: If you’re too busy traveling and spending time with family to fit in your usual exercise routine, compensate by committing to staying in motion for at least 30 minutes every day. Whether you take a walk or simply just clean the house, any activity is better than no activity.
- Take Time for Yourself: The stress of holiday socializing and gift-giving can take its toll on your well-being, so don’t be afraid to take some time to yourself for relaxation. Join a yoga class, read a good book or meditate.
- Bring the Veggies with You: If you’re attending a holiday feast, choose a healthy dish to contribute so you’ll know at least something on the menu will be wholesome and nutrient-rich.
- Load Your Plate with Veggies First: When you’re filling your plate at a big holiday feast, start with the vegetables and fill in with meat and starchy sides second. That way, you make sure you have plenty of room for the good-for-you stuff.
- Wash Your Hands: It’s never a bad idea to wash your hands, but this is especially important if you’re planning be around a large group of people or travel during the holidays. Carry hand sanitizer for extra protection.
- Plan a Family Activity: It’s hard to sneak off and find time to exercise when you’d rather be spending time with your family. Start a new tradition that encourages you and your family members to be more active: take a hike, play touch football or challenge your loved ones to a tennis match.
- Don’t Overdo it With Alcohol: Holiday cocktails can be hard to turn down, but be sure to keep your consumption in moderation.
Just a few swaps and smart choices can make all the difference in staying healthy over the holidays. Looking for some healthy recipes? Download our Holiday Inspired Cookbook!