Going on a vacation gives you an opportunity to take a break from your stressful lifestyle and indulge in your favorite activities. While it is natural to want to let loose during a vacation, you should not forget about your health. Sticking to your healthy habits can help you prevent travel illnesses and give you the peace of mind to enjoy your vacation to the fullest. Here are a number of healthy tips for your summer vacation:
Traveling by Plane
- Pack healthy foods, such as apples, bananas, nuts, crunchy veggies, whole grain crackers, or dark chocolate, in your carry-on.
- Avoid high-calorie drinks, and ask for club soda with lime or water instead.
- When the seatbelt light is off, get up and walk along the aisle for a few minutes. Do this once every hour if you are on a long flight.
Traveling by Car
- Instead of eating at road-side fast-food restaurants, fill your cooler with healthy sandwich ingredients and have picnics along the way.
- Make a point to stop once every hour or two to do some stretching.
- Stay well-hydrated throughout the trip.
After Reaching Your Destination
- Participate in physical activities, such as hiking, swimming, or sports, to get rid of those vacation calories.
- No vacation is complete without splurging on fancy dinners, but try not to overdo it. If you have a greasy meal in the day, make up for it by eating a lighter dinner.
- Take a nap whenever you can in the day and get enough quality sleep at night.